Namo Amitabha, Buddhism is all about Practice what BUDDHA preaches or Cultivation. If you learn many Sutras but you do not cultivate, your attainment with Buddhism will be little or nothing. If you learn a few Sutras but you cultivate alot, your attainments with Buddhism will be tremendously better. On this webpage, I will show you my daily recommendation of practice for you. Last time some Dharma friends (maybe much more) cultivate what I told them and it shows very good results. Sincerely, Buddhist monk Thich Huyen Quang.
October 1, 2012: Today everyone should recite Avolokiteshvara Bodhisattva's name at least 100 times and Manjushri Bodhisattva at least 100 times too. The methods to recite Bodhisattva's names are 'Namo Avolokiteshvara Bodhisattva' ('Namo Quan Shi Yin Bodhisattva' in Chinese and 'Nam mô Quán-Thế-Âm Bồ-Tát' in Vietnamese) and 'Namo Manjushri Bodhisattva' ('Namo Wenshu Bodhisattva' in Chinese and 'Nam mô Đại Trí Văn Thù Sư Lợi Bồ-Tát' or 'Nam mô Văn Thù Bồ-Tát' in Vietnamese.)
Reciting these MAHASATTVA BODHISATTVA'S NAMES will give you more precious Wisdom. Avolokiteshvara Bodhisattva will give you Wisdom when you recite His name because this is His great vow. Likewise, He will purify your mind from lust which is very bad for you. Manjushri will give you Wisdom when you recite His name because Manjushri is a MAHASATTVA BODHISATTVA who is a Mother of all BUDDHAS and give all BUDDHAS Wisdom on Their Path of Cultivation. When you have time you should visit the website http://PhimPhatGiao.com, watch and think about the two best Pure Land videos of the two best Pure Land Sutras:
1. The Buddha Speaks of Amitābha Sūtra (Amitabha Sutra, Sukhavati Vyuha Sutra or The Small Sutra) and
2. The Buddha Speaks of Infinite Life Buddha Sūtra (The Larger Sukhavativyuha Sutra or The Larger Sutra.)
October 7, 2012: Today everyone should read the Dharmapada Sutra with illustrations on website http://TrueHappiness.ws and think about, practice and cultivate as much as you can like the Dharmapada Sutra said.
November 14, 2012: When learning to talk, a five year old baby ask at least 100 questions in a day. That is ok, he or she is just a baby, that is why he or she asks too much questions to learn new things. There is at least 69,000 different thoughts that every adult has in a day! None of them are useful for you to get out of the cycle of rebirths! Famous Vietnamese Buddhist Tinh Hai preached "When a person gets old, if all of karmas which that person makes have form, they will fill up the space of the universe."! That is why God preached "It is very hard to reborn as a human being again next life." BUDDHA preached the same thing. There is only two easy ways to be reborn as a human being again next life. What two?
01. To take refuge in The Triple Jewels to become a buddhist and keep 5 precepts of a buddhist well in your lifetime. Master Hsuan Hua preached "Taking refuge in The Triple Jewels to become a buddhist is the biggest thing you do in your life." or
02. To practice Pure Land to reborn in Pure Land of Amitabha Buddha. A famous Taiwanese buddhist movie said "Practicing Pure Land is the most important thing you do in your life." You need to turn your head back 180 degrees and go back to see your Buddha mind. You need to be mindfulness of different kind of meditations that Buddha preached, you need to be mindfulness of reciting AMITABHA BUDDHA'S NAME many times so you can get out of the cycle of rebirths and deaths. There are different methods of reciting AMITABHA BUDDHA'S NAME:
01. Reciting Amitabha Buddha's name in your mind,
02. Reciting Amitabha Buddha's name softly only you can hear,
03. Reciting Amitabha Buddha's name loudly that you and other persons can hear,
04. Reciting Amitabha Buddha's name and thinking about the pictures of Amitabha Buddha with his wonderful figures,
05. Reciting Amitabha Buddha's name and looking at Amitabha Buddha's statue or statuette with his wonderful figures,
You can reciting Amitabha Buddha's name with a buddhist bracelet (21 beads) or a buddhist rosary (108 beads) for the above methods. The following methods do not need a buddhist bracelet or a buddhist rosary:
06. Reciting Amitabha Buddha's name together with the voice of a person who is reciting Amitabha Buddha's name with or without music in a cassette tape, CD, MP3 or DVD,
07. Reciting Amitabha Buddha's name in your mind when you play the music of reciting Amitabha Buddha's name by a bass guitar or a guitar,
08. Reciting Amitabha Buddha's name with a small device with prerecord of different voices of reciting Amitabha Buddha's name with music.
Try to eliminate useless time of idleness, sleeping extra hours, gossips, hanging around with friends, going to a movie, going to restaurant, going to the music show or dancing floor, talking to 'girl friend' or 'boy friend', traveling, etc. then you will have so much extra time to be mindfulness. You will not be regret and very happy when having very productive time for your life especially your spiritual life.
When you guys don't know how to cultivate or don't know where to start, you should cultivate like the following guidelines that I made for you:
Day 1: Sit down to meditate to purify your mind. After that, try to meditate your mind while you walk, stand, lie down, sit down at least half day. After that, recite AMITABHA BUDDHA'S NAME until you go to sleep.
Day 2: Recite Amitabha Buddha's name all day long.
Day 3: Recite Om Mani Pad Mi Hum at least half day. After that, recite Amitabha Buddha's name until you go to sleep.
Day 4: Bow down respectfully in front of a Amitabha Buddha's statue with your palms, your knees and your forehead must touch the ground. Cultivate bowing down many times in a day. You should also recite Amitabha Buddha's name many times in a day.
Day 5: Read the Sutras, listen to Dharma talks, join Dharma discussions with other buddhists, etc. After that, think what you read, listened to and discussed then cultivate them as much as you could. When your mind get tired, you may sit down to meditate or meditate your mind while you walk, stand, lie down, sit down.
Day 6: Play charities games online. You choose several charities games online to play.
Day 7: Choose your favorite Mantra or a Dharani in the website http://PhimPhatGiao.com to recite at least half day. After that you recite that Mantra or Dharani and recite Amitabha Buddha's name until you go to sleep.
Day 8: Repeat your cultivations again for next week starting from day 1.